This weekend when Mom and Dad were here the weather was nice. Mild. And springy. I ran outside Sunday afternoon for the first time in a long time. Even in shorts! I went to Sunday dinner (we have YL dinner at the regional director’s house every Sunday night) and it was still pretty nice. But the weather took a turn for the worse after dinner. It started pouring. Seriously pouring. Pouring like I’ve never seen it pour before pouring. Lightening and thunder, the whole shebang! We were watching to Oscars, and when the freshman girls left there was 2 inches of standing water in the road. I went to bed excited for a great night of sleep. I love sleeping when it’s storming. Love love love it! For some reason it’s always better than just a normal night. Until 3 A.M., when Butler texted me with an emergency weather update. I remember reading the text (it said there was a tornado warning and that we needed to seek shelter) but it didn’t register. Totally just kept sleeping. Then my friend texted me and asked if we were in the basement. I responded with, “Nope! Awake in my bed.” which is funny because I wasn’t. I was in my bed but I was surely not awake. I have no recollection of receiving and or responding to this text. And my response was probably close to her worst nightmare. You should know that this particular friend takes tornadoes very seriously. She’s lived through some in her lifetime. She’s from an area in Ohio that when the sirens go off it actually means a tornado is happening. So my response did nothing to ease her concerns.
Anyways...my sweet roommate knocked on my door at 3:20ish telling me we needed to go to the basement. So we did. Half asleep the three of us walk downstairs and are greeted by a wet floor. Worst feeling ever. I hate wet socks. Our basement was flooding. Not like inches of water but little streams going everywhere because our floor is uneven. At this point things are comical. Our states of mind all out of sorts, watching the red spot on the TV hover over Indy. My other roommate, who lives in the basement whom we were trying not to wake up, came out of her room clueless. Wondering why in the heck we were all down there, why her socks were wet, why we didn’t wake her up. She was hilarious. Could hardly see. And then ate the mocha brownie she refused to eat before going to bed. Needless to say it was a memorable night. The warning was down graded to a watch shortly after 3:35 or so so we could head back to bed. Thankfully.
I spent Monday at the YL office. Got some work done on fundraising for camp which was good. I’m currently organizing our mulching fundraiser in May. Also went to Carmel’s leadership meeting and Campaigners tonight. It was fun to see all my friends with their kids. To see a whole other group of people loving high school kids so well. It was encouraging to see what they do. In some ways it looks so similar to what we do in Zville and in some ways it looks very different, but it works. And kids are seeing and experiencing Jesus. I’m so lucky to be a part of that.
No comments:
Post a Comment