Starting the day with Jesus is great. I know that. But sometimes it still feels like such a fight. But this week I've been going to church at 6:45 for Holy Week devos and I've really enjoyed it. I've been reminded of the power of being in the Word early in the morning. How it has the power to transform how I think and go about my day. This week I have felt full and joyous and close to Jesus and I think it has a lot, if not everything, to do with starting my day with the Lord.
The devos are based on works of N.T. Wright. And trust me, I am no biblical scholar. There is loads of information packed into 20 minute lessons and it almost feels overwhelming. But today was good. We talked about being citizens of heaven and residents of earth. The idea that as believers we live on earth but have a message of Jesus and of heaven to share with the world. We're called to bring the culture of heaven to wherever we're stationed on earth. Heaven isn't some far away place, it's here. It's NOW. It's Jesus' dream for mankind. So I've been thinking about what this looks like. What my role in this is. But it brings me back to Saranac. Our two goals in August were to (1) become more like Jesus, and (2) create heaven on earth. And Saranac felt different. It's a place that overflows with life and love and peace and realness and freedom and fullness and joy. The presence of the Lord is undeniable there. I dream about being back there. I wish everyone could experience life there. And not that these thoughts are bad, but perhaps just a little limiting. Heaven on earth doesn't just happen at Saranac (although a great example). It can happen HERE and NOW. In my place, where I am. I shouldn't just long to be back at the 'Nac or long for other people to have the chance to go there. I should long to create that same feeling here, where I'm at right now. As believers we have a responsibility. We're not saved from something but for something. We are called to follow Jesus, to live out the way of Jesus, and to do our part to bring God's kingdom to earth. Bringing heaven here, now. Making the ordinary, extraordinary.
No comments:
Post a Comment